With the boom in coal and steel development in the beginning of the 20th century, and the investment of large amounts of capital into these island resources, Sydney Mines became one of the foremost industrial centres on the American continent.
Coal mining and its related industries, in addition to the construction and erection of the Steel Pant, were catalysts in the development of the island’s culture and increase in population. In 1910, 51.6 percent of Sydney Mines people had arrived in the last ten years.
In 1902 streets opened up at a rapid pace, Main Street being among the first. Fraser Avenue was opened up and used as a short cut to North Sydney. The area of King Street, Queen Street and Beech Street were the first residential section of the town.